Treatment options for GERD often depend on the severity of the condition and may include the following:
Changes in lifestyle may relieve GERD symptoms in some patients.
- Eliminate coffee, alcohol, smoking
- Avoid eating close to bedtime
- Sleep with the head of the bed elevated
- Eliminate spicy or fatty foods, and citrus or tomato products
These medications provide symptomatic relief, but are generally required for the lifetime of the patient.
- The following drugs work by decreasing acid production:
- Proton pump inhibitors
- H2-receptor antagonists
This surgery involves wrapping the stomach around the esophagus to improve the barrier function of the lower esophageal sphincter.
- 2-4 hour procedure
- General anesthesia
- 1-4 day hospital stay
- 1-3 weeks back to work
The Stretta Procedure
Stretta is an effective outpatient procedure for patients who prefer a less invasive therapy.
- 45 minute procedure
- Outpatient, no hospital stay
- 1-2 days back to work
For those who suffer from chronic heartburn and are considering a surgical intervention, Stretta may be an optimal and less invasive option for you.